About Your Library
The History of Haverstraw King's Daughters Public Library
On May 14, 1895, the King's Daughters Society, a very active charitable organization (also known as "The Haverstraw Ladies Home Mission Circle") petitioned the New York State Regents for a charter to create the Haverstraw King's Daughters Public Library (HKDPL). Melvil Dewey signed the charter, making this Library the oldest chartered public library in Rockland County. The signed charter hangs in the Main Library today.
The Library opened in Jenkins Hall in 1896 and moved to another location (the National Bank Building) the following year. In 1899, a prominent local brickyard owner, Denton Fowler, offered to donate half the cost of the purchase of a site and the erection of a new library building. The condition to this pledge was that his gift had to be matched. The needed $10,000 was raised, and Haverstraw Main, also known as the Fowler Building, officially opened at the foot of Main Street on May 14, 1903.
The building was constructed with Haverstraw brick from Mr. Fowler's brickyard (the imprint DF&S can be read on the bricks laid for the basement's floor.) The original part of this two-story building displays both Classical and Renaissance Revival characteristics, with finely detailed cornices, prominent quoins, a raised foundation and a curved entrance bay. The interior is virtually unchanged, and features original fireplaces with glazed brick, carved mantelpiece, pillars, and a central stairway with oak wainscoting banisters and newel posts capped. A fire, on the second floor, badly damaged the Library in 1956, destroying almost the entire book collection. The damage was repaired.
Over the next few decades, with an increase in population and an increased demand for services, a storefront branch (Thiells) on Route 202 was opened, in 1978, to serve the needs of patrons in Garnerville, Thiells and Pomona. In that same year the State granted the Library a new charter, by designating a "Special Library District," to give residents the opportunity to vote on the annual budget and for trustees. With population expanding at a fast rate, the Thiells Branch moved to the basement of the Haverstraw Town Hall.
The Library received Federal and State (HUD) funding to construct an addition to the Fowler Building. The new wing was constructed with sensitivity to the original building's scale and materials, preserving arches and cornices and adding a ramp for the disabled. In 1983, the new wing was dedicated to Mrs. Kay Freeman, who served the Library as its administrator for 21 years. The original portion of the building was also restored during the expansion.
The Board of Trustees, in 1986, began searching for land to expand the Library's facilities. A year later the public approved an expansion and capital projects fund. The Board began to inquire into the Rosman property at Garnerville. Meanwhile, the Fowler Building's unique beauty, and historic significance had not gone unnoticed. In 1991 the Fowler building was added to both the New York State Register of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Places. Two years later, it was the recipient of the Historical Society of Rockland County's Historic Preservation Merit Award for Continuing Use.
The Town Board approved the library subdivision on May 9, 2001. We selected Beatty, Harvey & Associates as architects, and Paceline Construction Corporation as our construction management firm to work on the plans and eventual construction. Sunday, October 21 marked the official groundbreaking ceremony of the new 36,000 square foot Haverstraw King's Daughters Library. Friends, staff and community enjoyed the beautiful weather and eagerly listened to speeches of hope and the reality of the new undertaking.
The grand opening of HKDPL's new branch at Garnerville was held on May 18, 2003. This new library became the Haverstraw King's Daughters Public Library's new main branch featuring state-of-the-art check-in and check-out equipment, countless public computers, rooms for programs, tutors, quiet study, gallery, and more space to house the growing needs of our community.
Main Library Opening Gallery (May 2003)
Three years later, on July 1, 2006, we closed the historic village library to begin preparation for a long-awaited interior renovation. Construction began on October 16 with Marquise Construction of Thornwood, NY as our general contractor, and Pearl River Plumbing and All Bright Electric working on the Fowler building's plumbing and electrical wiring, respectively. Construction remained in budget due to the work by architects Arcari and Iovino, and funding from the New York State Construction Grant as well as other liquidation steps taken by the library.
The village library re-opened in June 18, 2007 with the interior fully restored highlighting the beauty of its woodwork, windows, fireplaces, and view of the Hudson River. A formal grand opening was held on October 14, 2007 with a rededication ceremony with a brief speech from Board President Tom Casey, Library Director Joanne Sininsky, and the Honorable Mayor Wassmer. The newly renovated program/study room was named in memory of Genevieve McCab, a longtime trustee who served as board president from 1978 to 1983. An artwork made by second graders from Neary Elementary School was also presented during the ceremony which now hangs in display at the program/study room.
Village Renovation Gallery (2006 - 2007)
The Main Library celebrated it's fifth anniversary on May 2008. Since it's construction, our adult book collection has grown by over 12,000 items, our video and DVD collection has increased from 1,200 to over 10,000, and Youth Services has added nearly 5,000 items. Our adult programming has also increased along with a wider range of teen and youth programs.
On May 2, 2010, our Local History Room at the Main Library was rededicated in honor of Thomas F.X. Casey, a long-time and much beloved Board of Trustee President and Rockland County & Haverstraw Town Historian. The Village Branch had recieved some face-lifts in early 2011 in time for it's 108th birthday in the fall.
The library has come a long way since its formation over 100 years ago and we hope to serve the Town of Haverstraw, North Rockland School District residents, and general public for another 100 years.
View Old Photographs
Images from the Library's photographic collection are available online at the Hudson River Valley Heritage website. See 1900 farm families in Thiells as well as Civil War Veterans in fancy dress. Additional house photos from the Village of Haverstraw circa 1974 have since been added.
The old photographs were digitized, as part of Library Association of Rockland County's (LARC) Rockland Images, a project funded by the Rockland County Legislature.
♦ Board Minutes
When: Every 2nd Tuesday of the month.
Where: Board Meeting Room, Main Library at Garnerville.
Who: Board Meetings are open to the public and anyone is welcome to attend.
Archive: 2012 - Present
Director: Claudia Depkin
Head of Adult Services: Naomi Goldberg Honor
Head of Teen Servicess: Patrice Gottfried
Head of Youth Services:
Head of Technical Services
Head of Custodial Services: Jessie Moore
If you are interested in holding a program at the library or reserving a room, please contact Cheryl Fellner at (845) 786-3800.
If your program pertains to a specific department, please get in touch with one of the department heads listed above.