To become more environmentally responsible, HKDPL is participating in the Sustainable Library Certification Program (SLCP) through the New York Library Association. We have so far been certified as a green business by the Green Business Partnership. We are currently continuing with the second of the two-part program to receive full certification via the SLCP program. Our environmental policy can be found on the page with our policies and procedures.
Policy 3.6. Environmental Use
Purpose: The Haverstraw King’s Daughters Public Library is committed to implementing reliable and cost effective measures that will allow us to avoid wasted expense and protect the environment.
Policy Statement: The Haverstraw King’s Daughters Public Library will promote and practice safe and responsible use of energy, recycling and waste management, purchasing, transportation, land use and water in the planning and delivery of all our services.
- Incorporate green purchasing and consider energy efficiency in all aspects of library purchases, plans, and operations, including transportation between sites
- Maintain responsible site management practices to avoid leaks, reduce toxins and keep our surrounding environment clean and safe
- Communicate our Environmental Policy and relevant procedures to employees, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders
- Provide employees with training and education to recognize, plan, implement and sustain energy savings in all aspects of library services
- Establish a reporting system to consistently track our energy consumption and make necessary updates towards managing and reducing energy costs
- Strive towards becoming a “Zero Waste Business.” In order to accomplish this we will adhere to our local Rockland County Solid Waste Management principles and the separation law to discard materials responsibly
- Provide at least four programs annually on environmental sustainability issues specific to our geographic region
Approved by the Board of Trustees, December 11, 2018
Revised by the Board of Trustees, November 12, 2019